Wednesday, January 28, 2009

10 day later and a lor older

I feel bad about not writing in my blog for over 10 days, but I said I was going to be positive. I just felt that I couldn't be positive about what happened to me so I just kept quiet.

In a nutshell

Went in on January 19 and they told me to induce at 9PM. Just to recap I had 5 follicle 20.5,17,10.5, 21.5, 20 my E2 level was 1171 which has not increased much over the 1142 from Jan 17. Had HCG measure and it was 269 after 12 hours. Apparently as long as it is over 50 everything was good.

Went in for retrieval at 9. Got out at 11. 11? what the hey they told me 20 minutes. Then I learn that they found one egg after aspirating and flushing 6 follicles. Barely any granulosa cells and little cumulus cells Uno did not fertilize. The same day I found out about the failure to fertilize I found out I got tenure. Remember that I was actually out of town and my hubby had to talk to the embryologist. Haven't talked to my RE since then, though he cryptically released the HCG value on my patient chart. Weird because no other values have ever been released.

Now trying to figure out what we should do next. My negative, realistic side had already filed all of the paperwork necessary for DE. But my optimistic side wants another shot. Asked for a DHEA prescription. Asked RE if we might be able to screen for cycle with higher antral follicles. Also talked to fellow coworker who had a baby at 42. Turns out she did IUI on injectables, never had more than two follicles. Did IUI twice had chemical pregnancy first cycle then got pregnant second cycle. She gave me tremendous hope. Now, I wonder if we should have done IUI this cycle. I had no idea we wouldn't recover at least three eggs. I just didn't know it was even a possibility, but weirdly enough Mekate went through a very siimilar scenario one day later. Coincidence I think not. It was the woman who had 8 babies who stole our good mojo.

For now, I am setting up an appointment with the DE shrink to discuss all the psycological ramifications. I will talk about this more later, but that is all for now.

Hoping bb's ER went superbly today.

4 comments:

bb said...

Maredsous, I am so sorry this happened. I thought it may have since I hadn't seen any posts from you. I really can't imagine what you are going through and I hate that you have to go through it. I am glad though that you have a plan in place, questions to ask and options to choose from. Don't give up!!

And thanks so much for mentioning my ER, that is so sweet. And it did go well and I know it is because I have had all of you guys thinking of me. I can't say thank you enough for that.

Big HUGS and prayers for you!! AND CONGRATS on tenure!!! Woohoo! I work for a university as well, although not as a professor, I am in research administration.

Sarah said...

congratulations on tenure, but what timing! it must be hard to savor that accomplishment in the midst of such crap news about the cycle.

i hope talking to your RE gives you some clarity about where to go next. would they increase your stims? reduce supression? you might find your optimistic side has good reason to want another shot.

Joannah said...

I'm so sorry. My heart goes out to you.

((hugs))

Kate said...

I am so glad to see you here again- First, and with such odd universal timing--Congratulations on your tenure!! That is excellent.

As for all that comes next, I wish you well. You've been such a great source of support for me, and I am so grateful for your on-line presence. I am pulling for you- in whatever direction you decide, IUI, DE, IVF... There are such tradeoffs, so many unknowns, it is so hard to know the right path. Good luck navigating, I'll be here to pull for you no matter what choice(s) you make.