Monday, January 19, 2009

Bless his heart

First, I need to complain a little about the failure of the fellow to really look at my follicles. As I said before I had 4 that were coming along nicely. Then on Saturday the fellow only counted 3. I asked about the other one. She said it was too small. I was heartbroken. I started crying in the little changing area. Then I left and cried at work. Then I left and cried at home. We were told to continue with the stimulation drugs so we had to go buy more. I decided it would be a good day for shopping and no more work. I bought some nice work clothes and while I was trying them on, Dr. B. called. We discussed everything and decided no immediate decisions had to be made on Saturday. Then he said that my E2 was 1150. I was suspicious that the "little" follicle was indeed still good and growing.

Go in this morning. We had a 21, 2X20, 17 and a 10. Because it is a holiday, only a skeleton crew was working and nobody really knew what I was supposed to do next (though the nurse said that I would stimulate for sure tonight). When the fellow called Dr. B. to get the scoop. He told him I only had 3 follicles. We decided that IUI was the way to go. All this time I was thinking, that I could have sworn I had 2X20 not one at 20 (which is what the fellow told Dr. B). Then the nurse again stopped the fellow and showed him that I had 4 mature not 3. With this in mind, now I felt there was more of a decision to be made. IUI or IVF. 2K vs 6K.

I called my honbun and we still couldn't decide. I decided to look up some data on women my age with IUI and IVF success rates. I found one really good review that said for women of advanced gestational age success rates of 3 hormone IUI cycles is equivalent to one IVF cycle. I thought wow this means the third time is a charm for us. My DH, on the other hand, said hmmm... that means IVF is three times more effective than IUI. I was all for leaving the darling eggies in their cozy sacs and letting the spermies get to them when they are ready. DH said lets do the IVF. We have lost more money in the stock market than we would spend on getting a baby. So I guess we are doing this. ER on Wednesday. Oddly, I have to fly out of town at 5pm. I sure hope that the ER is scheduled for early in the day.

I have always said I am not a gambler, but really if the only thing that is effecting my decision is the monetary costs then I guess that is not the best reason.

Thanks to everyone for the kind word. It really brightens my day.

5 comments:

Kate said...

Wow Maredsous, you sure had a lot going on these past few days. I hate the uncertainty that you went through of how many, and how mature, and all of the attendant sadness when the number seemed like less than you expected- when in fact it was more... gosh what a rollercoaster ride. Thanks for the update and I am pulling for you!

bb said...

Oh thank goodness for that nurse! But what a roller coaster, sorry you had to go through that. Goodluck with the IVF. For me, I wish we had tried IVF much sooner. Financially, for us since we don't have insurance coverage, it was really costing the same for IUI for us.

To answer your question about the way I write the med names... I had a friend who told me to do that so that if someone is searching for info on the meds they won't find your site or also if you post your email address, they can't email you ads or SPAM. Come to think of it though... I don't have my email posted so I really don't know why I am doing it that way ;-) haha!

Sarah said...

yeah i definitely think if you have the option its worth going with what will give you the best shot.

but wow, flying out later that day? maybe i am just a wuss with anesthesia but i definitely needed to go home and rest for 24 hours afterwards. i hope it is a VERY smooth flight!!

Faith said...

Wow -- that's a big decision. Fingers crossed for Wednesday. Here from Cyclesista.

Joannah said...

Tough decision! I'm glad your moving forward with IVF, and I wish you all the best.

Blessings!