Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Here we go again

After last months failed cycle...empty follicles. I thought that I might actually enjoy a break. I was able to get some physical activity in. I ran in a 15K, started going to spin class, and played some racquetball. I was hoping to lose some of the weight that I gained due to the multiple IUIs and IVF cycles. Everyone says that you can work out when you are pregnant, but apparently when you are trying to get pregnant and you are ancient like me, not so much.

I went in for the baseline ultrasound and there were 9 antral follicles. For someone of my advance reproductive age, that is supposedly the most you can expect. I wanted it to be 11 or 12 before we continued with another cycle. Maybe that is expecting a lot, but hey it is to be my last cycle. The doc says do or die. He would have stopped most people after the last cycle, but I guess I am too whiney to let that happen.

What is different this cycle? Well, we are going with the Lupron microdose flare protocol, but using 300 Follistim and 150 menopur. My guess is the change in drug dosage (less menopur, less LH) is due to the lost eggies. The plan is to find out how many follicles and if there are less than 5 I want to do IUI. The RE wants to do IVF, but after the last time, I am sure he understands my hesitation.

Thats the update. No news until next Monday. They don't seem to be worried about me and OHSS. Ha!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

hoping for good news on monday and YAAAAAYYYY you for the 15k, that's great!! 9 antral is good, i didn't have that many this time and ended up with 15 eggs.

Joannah said...

Warm wishes for a successful cycle!

Kate said...

thanks so much for the papers you sent to me. I am not liking our odds, but happy to be rooting for you! a 15k, eh? well, maybe after a few years of training I could do a 5k. I am most definitely a walker rather than runner. I love Sarah's comment, and it is hard to remember that this IVF math sure it an odd and unpredictable one. And as Joannah says, wishing you nothing but success.

Chelle said...

Great idea! Let's combine our efforts and meet in the middle.
Good luck this cycle, I'll be checking back!

PS-KUDOS on the 15K!