Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Surprise surprise

HOLD THE PHONE!!!!!!!!

So we had already resigned ourselves to trying another cycle. Peter really was not ready to go the whole donor egg route. I think he would keep doing the IVF cycles with our own eggs indefinitely. I, on the other hand, had already met with Dr. D. who is at the clinic for the DE experience. We were getting all of the tests in line, and preparing for the counseling session. One really sad thing was that their donor egg pool was pretty minimal. 8-9 total donors. Not that great. We had started to look at other egg agencies and there the numbers were better, but everyone has warned about using these places so I was a little tentative.

Dr. D was astounded by my absolute lack of response. Even with being 41, he thought that I should have formed at least one follicle but having E2 levels of 26, 52, 37, then 45 was really concerning. He said I was on the lower end of the curve. Now, being a striving overachiever, I don't like being told that I am on the lower end of the curve, even with measurements that are not within my control.

As I had said, we plan to go through one more IVF cycle full force. No more giving in on the seventh day. I was coordinating with Dr. B regarding when all of this should take place. Apparently, there is a national meeting for RE and all REs attend this meeting to get new information. (I was secretly hoping that some great new discovery would be revealed that would solve all of our problems.) Any way, so we would have to schedule around this meeting, but it looked as if the timing would work out. It may have interfered with Thanksgiving plans, but that was almost being too hopeful.

I had started tracking my bbt again, and it has been a steady 97.2 for the past week and a half. As I had been tracking before (religiously for almost one year). I knew that I ovulated and menstruated like clockwork and that I had a dip then a sharp increase in temperature after ovulation. I had guessed that I had not ovulated yet because of the lower body temperature. I was just going to wait to get AF then contact the clinic. But yesterday I was sitting in my office and Dr. B called. Apparently he had been talking with my nurse and they had discussed the unusual event of AF arriving before I stopped taking bcp. I told them this was very unusual because normally when I am on bcp I get no bleeding at all even on the placebo pills. To top it off, I have an extremely light and short cycle. Usually, one heavy day of flow and two days of light flow. But that month it lasted 10 days and it was heavy all 10 days. Very weird. Any way Dr. B and the nurse were talking and they decided about the medications that I would be taking the next cycle. A flare protocol with increased menopure vs follistim. I think this is good because my LH levels were never greatly detectable around ovulation any way.

Dr. B called and wanted to arrange to determine my E2 levels and do a sono to make sure that I didn't have any cysts or anything. I go in and one of the residents is doing the sono and it seems to be taking forever. I mean forever. He keeps moving the probe all around. Then he asks what the results of my last sono were which I guess was 10/16. I said "lazy" had seven follicles but only one around 7mm. He then proceeded to say that I had TWO mature follicles in lazy and no antral follicles in righty. One being super mature (26.5mm ) and the other lagging (17mm). Everyone was jumping for joy. I truly didn't know why but continued to smile along. He then went to ask Dr. B what to do and came back and said they were going to induce right away and that I would have IUI tomorrow a.m. Wow, that was fast. So now P my DH needs to come home from work a day early, but hey we all need to make sacrifices.

Here I sit with two follicles waiting for spermies to come along and make me proud.

What a weird thing. I have been off stimulation for 12 days. I will let everyone know how it goes tomorrow.

No comments: