Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Well the wait was over on Saturday

I was sure I was pregnant. My ovaries continued to hurt all the way through this weekend. Everything seemed right. We had copious amounts of enjoyable sex. The IUI was on Valentine's day. Forget the fact that it fell immediately after Friday the 13th. The follicles were not perfectly synchronized, but I figured with 3 we had an ok shot with IUI. I had a bbt dip on day 8. I was a little worried about my temps. They really weren't as high as they usually are. I don't know if that is the effect of the IVF drugs, but it really doesn't matter now.

Had to regroup. RE said he would prefer if I put time and energy into a DE cycle, but will try one more cycle with me if I beg and plead.

I am traveling again in March and my parents are visiting in April so I think all of this will be put on hold for now. I know I should forge ahead with the DE scenario, but that means I have to find another clinic. There are 5 to choose from and I have no way of deciding where to go. Then there is deciding on the donor. I hate making life altering decisions. That is probably why I am still in this job that I am not too excited about. Living in a city other than my darling, P. Life is comfortable, but I feel this need to contribute more to society.

Any way, I need a plan of attack. A time line, a good way to decide which clinic is ideal. There is one that is an easy choice, but thusfar I have not had the best experience with them. It took 3 emails to get them to send me the application. 4 phone calls to reach the donor egg coordinator. 3 weeks for them to return my call for an appointment with the psychologist. OK I know this sounds bad, but if I use this IVF clinic I can have all of my testing done at my existing clinic. Which I guess in the whole scheme of things doesn't mean that much. All they have to do is measure my uterine lining right? That won't take too many visits.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

being comfortable with your clinic is so important. maybe the issues you're dealing with are all administrative and have nothing to do with the results, but you have to deal with so much crap already it should be as easy as possible on you. i wish you luck making your choices.

Kate said...

Sweet M, I think it is hard to decide this stuff even when you have recommendations of some sort-- know anyone who knows anyone? responsiveness is important as is proximity (the ability to do some testing close to home is great)-- BUT the most important thing is for you to be comfortable with what you decide. I wish I could offer words of support that would truly help- I just want things to work out for you the way you want them to. Good luck with your choices and decisions-- and remember, you can interview them -- see who you feel the best about- you have a little time with your schedule, you may have time to feel them out a little bit. Good luck, you are in my thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Sorry you are in this predicament. Even though sometimes it seems like it is best to jump right back into the IVF game, I think a break is a great thing for perspective.

Are you sure the other clinics won't let you do the basic testing from you "home clinic"? Cuz it is really awful to have a non-responsive clinic, so I would go anywhere else if possible. You might interview at some others and see if they have other ideas about IVF for you - sometimes a change of RE really can help. Donor egg (IMHO) is not the worst thing, but you should be sure before you go with that option. Good luck!

Grade A said...

As if you don't have enough to think about right now, you also have a million decisions to make. Ugh. I had no way of knowing what I was getting into when I selected my clinic, other than the RE is highly regarded. It turns out she is a little cold, and I also despise the secretary, but the nurses are GREAT-and they are the ones you end up talking to the most. That's my 2 cents. Good luck.

K said...

I like your blog title ;)
The clinic is Pacific Fertility Center in San Francisco, Dr. Carolyn Givens. I haven't read back through your whole history, but Dr. Givens specializes in MFI and women 38 and over. Hope that helps....
K.